One of the two co-founders of the company, Patrick Tan oversees the legal side of FortisWills. His areas of practice include commercial litigation and arbitration, wealth management, and private client matters. He is a Commissioner for Oaths, a Fellow of the Singapore Institute of Arbitrators, as well as an accredited Associate Mediator, appointed by the Singapore Mediation Centre and the Primary Dispute Resolution Centre of the State Courts of Singapore.
Patrick obtained his LL.B. (Hons) at the Nottingham University. He received top honours, clinching several academic prizes in land law, company law and partnership law.
In 2005, Patrick was nominated for the Spirit of Enterprise Award in Singapore for founding M/s Patrick Tan & Associates (now known as Fortis Law), a sister company of Fortis Wills. In 2007, Patrick steered the firm into becoming the first law firm in Singapore to be accredited with the PrimeLaw Practice Management Excellence Standard awarded by the Law Society of Singapore.
Patrick speaks fluent English, Mandarin, Hokkien and Cantonese. In his spare time, he enjoys golfing, fishing, running, swimming, cycling and travelling.
His Appointments/Memberships include:
- Commissioner for Oaths, Supreme Court of Singapore
- Notary Public, Supreme Court of Singapore
- Fellow, Singapore Institute of Arbitrators
- Associate Mediator, State Courts of Singapore and Singapore Mediation Centre
- Mediator, Panel of Mediators (Inadequate Professional Services), Law Society of Singapore
- Teaching Fellow, Singapore Institute of Legal Education
- Tutor, Practice Management Excellence Course, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Inquiry Panel
- Member, Investigative Tribunal, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Panel of Primary Justice Lawyers
- Member, Panel of Assisting Counsels, Legal Assistance Scheme for Capital Offences
- Member, Criminal Legal Aid Scheme
- Member, Practice Management Committee, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Solicitors Accounts Rules Committee, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Member, ASEAN Law Association